Back-to-school shopping is starting to heat up as demonstrated by countless newspaper ads, TV commercials and new mobile apps from Office Max and Walmart to Kohls. A new study by ICSC-Goldman Sachs anticipates robust sales averaging some $300 on school supplies this year.
Spending (including back-to-college) is estimated to hit $83.8 billion according to the National Retail Federation. That's up from last year where spending was $68.8 billion.
Running shoes are a popular back-to-school item, so we looked at the Top Markets for spending on children's running shoes. Here's how the markets rank:
1. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX
2. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
3. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
4. El Paso, TX
5. Memphis, TN-MS-AR
6. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
7. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
8. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
9. Bakersfield-Delano, CA
10. Jackson, MS